Here, you will learn about how to make bootable Pendrive. I will describe two ways in details to make Pendrive bootable. First one is a very easiest way to create bootable Pendrive because, in this method, we will create bootable Pendrive with the help of a software called Rufus(many software are also available that you can use so I have made a list later in this post) The second method to make bootable Pendrive is using the commands(CMD). This method is lengthy as compared to the first one and also there is more chance of failure in the second method due to not following the proper commands. Don’t worry I have described both ways to make bootable Pendrive in details.
Before describing the methods to make bootable Pendrive, first I want to tell you about bootable Pendrive and why it is needed? This section of the article is for beginners or for new users. If you know about bootable Pendrive, you can ignore this and move directly to methods to make bootable Pendrive.
What is bootable Pendrive?
Actually, bootable Pendrive is used to install windows on your PC or system through Pendrive. You can also do the same by using CD/DVD. But today everybody wants to install the windows through bootable Pendrive instead of CD/DVD. Many laptops also do not come with CD/DVD drive.
At first, I will tell you the easiest method to make bootable Pendrive. In this method, three things are required that is a Pendrive, Windows .iso file, and the Rufus software.
.iso files are large, so it is mandatory to have a Pendrive of capacity 4 GB or above. One more important thing is that you should copy and delete all content because if there is any content that will be deleted.
Now, what about .iso file.? I am giving you links to download the .iso file. You can download according to your needs or which version of Windows you want to install on your system. So, following are the .iso files. Click on these buttons to download the .iso File.Windows 7 ISO File Windows 8.1 ISO File Windows 10 ISO File
One more thing that I have mentioned above is Rufus software. It is actually a medium to make bootable Pendrive from a windows iso file. The size of this software is 944 KB. You can download this software by clicking Rufus 2.17.
This software also helpful when
- We need to work on a system that doesn’t have an OS installed.
- We need to flash a BIOS or other firmware from DOS.
- We want to run a low-level utility.
There are also a lot of software available in the market other than Rufus. I am mentioning some name below but in this article, as I have mentioned above I will explain with Rufus software because it is popular and many people use it. so, some others alternative software to make bootable Pendrive are:-
- Universal USB Installer
- Windows Bootable Image Creator
- WinUSB Maker
- Linux Live USB Creator (LiLi)
- Windows official USB creation tool
Now, You have Pendrive of at least 4GB, downloaded iso file of that Windows version which you want to install and the software called Rufus. Let’s proceed and see the steps of our main intention that is how to make bootable Pendrive.
First Method stepwise.
How To Make Bootable Pendrive In windows (XP/7/8/8.1/10)
- Now Insert your USB/Pendrive into system’s USB port.
- Open the Rufus.exe File that you have downloaded. When you will open, it will look like the following picture. The picture shown below is the only blank sample picture. What should you choose, I have mentioned in next steps.
- In Device option, choose your Pendrive. In Partition scheme and target system type option, choose MBR Partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI computer. In File System option, choose NTFS. In Cluster Size option, choose 4096 bytes.
Note: If Your USB device/Pendrive is not showing up, then click on the white triangle next to ‘Format Options’ and check ‘List USB Hard Drives’.
- Now select 2 passes.
- Tick on Quick Format option.
- Tick on Create a bootable disk using.
- Select ISO Image option instead of Freedos as shown in above picture.
- Now Select your Image File(.ISO File) that you have already downloaded, from the system.
- Tick create extended label and icon files.
- At last, To make bootable Pendrive, Hit the start button.
It will take some time to complete. After few minutes, your Pendrive has become a bootable Pendrive. Click on the close button. Now, you can use it to install Windows in your system.
To install Windows, Restart your computer (make sure that the Pendrive/USB has been plugged) and select boot priority USB drive. By selecting this, you are telling the system to boot from your Pendrive. 🙂
How To Make Bootable Pendrive Using CMD (In Windows)
Now you will learn about the second method that is “make bootable Pendrive using CMD”. So, follow the following steps and commands carefully.
- Insert a Pendrive/USB flash drive into your computer.
- Open the command prompt as administrator. (For this, just right click on it and select run as administrator option)
- Type dispart command after opening Command Prompt and hit Enter.
- Some information of your PC will be displayed. Type another command list disk and hit Enter. This command displays all the disks on your computer. Note the drive no or drive letter of your Pendrive/USB flash drive.
- Now at Command Prompt, enter the next command select disk <#> whether # is the drive number or drive letter that you have noted in the above step. Now Hit Enter.
- Now, you should clean your drive, for this just write the next command clean and click Enter. This command erases all the data from the drive.
- Now type the next important command create partition primary. This creates a partition in your Pendrive.
- Now type the command select partition 1 to select the partition that you have created in the above step and hit the Enter.
- When you will see status Active then type active command and hit Enter. The current partition will be activated.
- Now type format fs=ntfs quick and hit Enter to format the current partition as NTFS file system quickly.
- Enter the assign command hit Enter. Then type exit command.
- The last step is to copy all windows file that is on the disc to USB/Pendrive. Now your Pendrive is bootable. 🙂
This is all about How to create/make bootable Pendrive. If you have any queries regarding creating bootable Pendrive, feel free to comment. I am here to help you. Please subscribe our free newsletter to get the latest updates. Also, like our FB page and follow us on Twitter. Thanks 🙂
Also, read this